Diwali is a festival celebrated all over India. It is a symbol of victory of light over darkness, good over evil and knowledge over ignorance. Diwali celebration is incomplete without the tasty food specially sweets which contain high calories.With a little conscious planning we can ensure healthy eating during Diwali for ourselves and our dearest ones. No celebration is complete without indulging in sweets and snacks. In between splendid and sparkle of the festival it’s very important to keep yourself free from unhealthy activities to enjoy the festivities to the fullest. The ultimate goal is to cease overeating unhealthy foods, exercise a bit, drink sufficient water and switch to low calorie recipes. For healthy Diwali, healthy food is crucial.With a certain measures we can celebrate Diwali by consuming healthy foods.
- Fruits: Fruits such as apples, oranges, banana, pears, coconut or any seasonal fruits could be chosen for a healthy diet.
- Be hydrated: It is important to flush out toxins in our body by drinking water. Coconut water is a healthy drink to detox your body.
- Sweets :Consume sweets with low fat or sugar free levels prepared using natural sweeteners instead. Like replacing jaggery with white sugar. Though artificial sweeteners contains aspartame which causes brain cancer and tumor.And also prepare sweets by using pure ghee. Make sure sweets are with good quality, standard and hygiene level.
- Nuts: We can choose raisins, dried apricots, dried figs, almonds, sunflower seeds and sesame seeds for a healthy diet.
- Focus on fibre-rich food: Consume more vegetables, lentils and whole grains. As fibre makes you feel full thus helps you in controlling weight.
Foods to Avoid:
- Sugars: Raw, brown, white sugars.
- Flours: All white flours, maida, refined grains and all packaged and processed foods like soups, sauces, cereals.
- Say No to alcohol : Avoid alcohol as it results in dehydration and gives you a hangover and makes you look tired mainly increases the risk of accidents. Instead choose some fresh fruit juices and soups.
- Pre-packaged desserts.
Conclusion: Diwali brings families and relatives together, food is a way that helps you connect where you left off last year.But don’t let those Diwali snacks and sweets become your weakest cravings when you have exercised so hard to get the shape you always wish for. Don’t deprive yourself of anything, eat your favorite foods, but eat in smaller portions. Furthermore, try the healthy foods mentioned above to stay healthy and fit during Diwali.
Enjoy your Diwali with your loved ones, let the festival bestow your life with hopes, happiness and health!